Fossavatnsgangan is part of four series, two Icelandic and two international.
Fossavatnsgangan is part of the main series of cross-country skiing competitions in the world, Worldloppet, with 18 other races, including the Vasaloppet, the Birkebeinerrennet and more races on all continents and in both the northern and southern hemispheres.
Stamps can be collected to become Worldloppet champion, but then you have to participate in 10 races, one of which must be outside Europe.
Íslandsgangan is a series of seven ski races around the country. They are
- Hermannsgangan in Akureyri
- Fjarðargangan on Ólafsfjörður
- Strandagangan in Selárdalur near Hólmavík
- The Blue Mountain Walk in Reykjavík
- Orkugangan in Húsavík
- Fossavatnsgangan on Ísafjörður
- The mountain walk in Stafdal between Seyðisfjörður and Egilsstaðir
There is competition in both individual and team ranking competitions (see ranking system in regulation of the race series),
Landvættur is a series of four competitions in as many disciplines.
- The western part is Fossavatnsgangan, 50 km.
- The northern part is a choice between two races, the Jökulsár race or the Þorvaldsdalsskokk.
- The eastern part is Urriðavatnsund, 2.5 km long.
- The southern part is the Blue Lagoon Challenge, 60 km of cycling from Hafnarfjörður.
In order to be considered Landvættur, all the races must be completed within 12 months, so it doesn't matter which race is started. There are also other versions, such as Langvættur (races completed in 48 months) and Ungvættur. For historical context, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landvættir
Ski Classics is a series of 60 ski races around the world. The biggest ones are part of the professional team series, while others are the so-called Ski Classics Challengers, including Fossavatnsgangan. Since Fossavatnsgangan is late in the Northern Hemisphere ski year, each run counts as the first run of a new season.
Other good friends
Running festival in the Westfjords is a four-day outdoor party held in mid-July. Among the events are the Óshlíðar race, sea swimming and the Vesturgatu competitions in running and cycling in the Westfjords Alps.
The cycling race Westfjords Way Challenge is a five-day cycling race around Vestfjörður. You can also take part in the last day's route, from Patreksfjörður all the way to Ísafjörður.